Pages

Multnomah Falls, Oregon

Multnomah Falls, Oregon

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ajumma Yelling Match

Well, I'm not the only one getting into quandries, luckily. A few days ago I was walking through my apt. complex, and I saw a mom walking with her 2 yr.old (who was riding his bike) while pushing her infant in a stroller. An SUV rounded the corner, but the corner was a good 15o meters or so away. Her 2 yr old. crossed the street and she chased after him a second later (she had stopped her stroller for a minute for some reason). Well, he couldn't get up on the sidewalk since the pavement was uneven (big surprise there- I don't know much about civil engineering, but apparently it's very difficult to make even pavements here). So she helped him up, but the stroller was still in the street. The SUV stopped maybe an inch from her stroller. I was pretty shocked, because the driver had to have seen them- I had been watching the whole thing, and I have a feeling the driver deliberately stopped just short of hitting them.

So the mom says something to the driver, and then the driver honks her horn (geez, that poor woman had an infant asleep in the stroller). Then the mom raises her voice, and the driver rolled down her window to argue with the mom. I felt really sorry for the mom cuz she hadn't done anything wrong-she was doing the best she could. Maybe I'm on the mom's side since I can sympathize. But then again, pedestrians do have the right of way (at least on paper...).

Anyway, I couldn't believe that driver. I think she was PMSing or something- anyone else in their right mind would've patiently stopped and waited a second for her to move out of the street. Our apt. complex at 4pm is filled with kids rollerblading and biking at that time of day. Hell, it's a residential area. I nearly told that driver to be careful (I was passing by just as she rolled down the window), but I figured it was best to stay out of it. With my luck, being the foreigner, they would've rounded on meγ…‹γ…‹γ…‹. Oh, well. It might sound bad, but I was relieved to see that I'm not the only one who gets into these kinds of messes.

No comments:

Post a Comment